The National Elections Security Taskforce and the Electoral Commission (EC) have pledged their commitment to work together to ensure peace in all electoral activities leading to the December 7 polls.
At a meeting in Accra on Monday, the EC and the Taskforce took stock of the successes recorded in the electoral activities of the Commission so far, and resolved to deepen such collaborations together with all stakeholders to promote peace.
The National Elections Security Task Force, which was reactivated by the Police Administration in December 2023, comprises heads of security agencies and some para security agencies, including the Fire Service, Prisons Service, Immigration Service, and the Customs Division of the Ghana Revenue Authority.
Under the auspices of the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Dr George Akuffo Dampare, the National Taskforce is responsible for planning and implementing strategies to enhance security before, during and after elections.
Monday’s meeting, which was the second this year, debriefed and analysed the performance of the Taskforce in recent electoral activities, including the Limited Voters’ Registration Exercise, Transfer of Votes, Replacement of Voter ID cards and Special Voting, among other activities.
The Taskforce also sought clarity with the EC on the changes in schedule for some of electoral activities to guide their planning and mobilisation.
The meeting also afforded the Commission the opportunity to offer constructive feedback to the Taskforce and recommend areas to be strengthened in future electoral activities.
Dr Dampare, who chairs the Taskforce, said the security agencies were committed to safeguarding the security of the nation before, during, and after the December 7 polls.
While thanking the public for supporting the Taskforce to make previous electoral activities successful, he served notice that the security agencies would not countenance any behaviour or practice that had the potential to compromise national peace.
“This is our country, this is the only one that we have. We have no choice than to guide it with all our strength and ensure that we continue to live in peace as our country continues to be at peace with itself,” he said.
The IGP said the perpetrators of some disturbances that characterised some registration centres during the Limited Voters Registration exercise had been arrested and some being prosecuted.
“We want to let everyone know that we are committed with intentionality to guide the peace and security of this country. Where we need to add softness, we will do so and where we need to act tough, we will do so because it is about Ghana,” he said.
Mrs Jean Mensa, Chairperson, EC, commended the Taskforce for their presence at all of its centres and ensuring the peaceful conduct of its electoral activities.
She said the Commission would organise a mop-up exercise from August 1 to August 3 to offer eligible voters, who had not registered already the opportunity to do so, among other scheduled activities.
Mrs Mensa assured that the Commission would continuously engage the Taskforce on its operations and work together to ensure smooth and peaceful processes ahead of the polls.
GNA
KK
July 8, 2024
Caption: Pictures attached